Do you need a mobility assistance device such as a rollator? Have you thought about hiring a rollator? Hiring a rollator offers you financial advantages especially if you only need a rollator for a temporary amount of time. This would allow you to try out different models and save a whole lot of money.
If you want to learn more about whether it’s possible to hire a rollator, keep reading below!
What Is A Rollator?
A rollator is a mobility device also known as a rolling walker or a wheeled walker. It is a walker with a seat that helps provide a stable support base to maintain balance as the user walks. A rollator has 3 or 4 legs where the wheels on each leg allow the users to easily manoeuvre the device. The inbuilt seat gives the user an opportunity to sit and rest if they get tired from walking. This is one of the primary differences between a walker and a rollator.
Who Needs A Rollator?
Rollators are designed to provide stability and balance to individuals who are at a greater risk of falling due to having a frail body or other health or mobility issues. They are the most versatile mobility assistance device because they are more stable and multifunctional as compared to other mobility assistance devices such as canes or walkers.
Another reason why rollators are more advantageous than other mobility assistance devices is that they provide complete support to both sides of the body. They make it easy to manoeuvre over different types of terrains while also offering a place to rest. Additionally, it can be easily folded and taken with you in your car.
For these reasons, rollators are usually recommended for people who:
- Deal with mild to moderate balance and stability issues
- Recover from surgery and need a supporting device for both sides of the body
- Need a mobility assistance device as they tire quickly when they walk and need a place to rest.
Is It Possible To Hire Rollators?
The short answer? Yes! It is possible to hire rollators at an affordable price. In fact, hiring it for a few weeks is the right financial choice if you need to use it only temporarily.
How To Choose The Right Rollator?
Since there are a variety of rollator models available in the market, it is important for you to consider several parameters to choose the right rollator for your needs. Here’s a list of the parameters you need to consider to make the right choice:
- Number of wheels. Rollators often come in either a 3-wheel variation or a 4-wheel variation. If you’re looking for a rollator that is light and compact, you might want to consider a 3-wheel rollator. However, a 4-wheel rollator may be for you if you are looking for more stability, a wider range of heights, and a bigger weight capacity.
- Wheel diameter. The wheels on a rollator are typically 6 to 10 inches in diameter. If you plan to use it mainly indoors, go for 6 to 7-inch diameter wheels. On the other hand, if you need to take it outdoors, choose a rollator that has bigger wheels.
- Handle height. Handle height should be comfortable for you to use it regularly. While most rollators have an adjustable handle height, premium models typically offer a wider range.
- Seat comfort. Pay special attention to seat comfort if you plan to use it frequently. Ideally, get a rollator that has a sling or padded seat. Plastic seats are easy to clean but you might not find them comfortable. You should also consider the seat width.
- Weight capacity. Make sure it is capable of supporting your weight.
- Overall weight and foldability. If you need to travel with a rollator, you should also consider its overall weight and foldability. A lightweight and foldable rollator is easy to travel with.
In summary, it is possible to hire a rollator at an affordable price. Hiring one makes financial sense in case you are going to need it temporarily. You should also hire one to figure out whether it is the right mobility assistance device for you in case you have been recommended to buy one permanently.
Get About Mobility offers a wide range of rollators for hire at affordable prices. Check out our range of mobility devices including rollators for hire.